There are less than a million people living in the little state of Delaware. It’s recognized for its beaches, history, and rules that promote businesses. Its crime rate is greater than the national average, nevertheless.
According to FBI data, Delaware had 22.5 property crimes and 4.2 violent crimes for every 1,000 residents in 2023. Which Delaware city is now thought to be the riskiest place to live?
Wilmington: The Most Dangerous City to Live in Delaware
Wilmington, the state’s largest and most populous city, is the riskiest place to reside in Delaware. Wilmington has a crime rate of 2,683 per 100,000 people, which is more than three times higher than the national average.It also boasts the highest rate of violent crime in Delaware, with fifteen violent offenses per 1,000 population.
This suggests that the likelihood of becoming a victim of a violent crime, such as murder, rape, robbery, or assault, is 1 in 67 for Wilmington residents.
Property crimes are common in Wilmington, where there are 44.6 of them for every 1,000 residents. Therefore, there is a one in twenty-two chance that Wilmington citizens will fall victim to a property crime, such as auto theft, larceny, or burglary.
Wilmington is a diverse urban hub home to about 70,000 people. As the center of Delaware’s economy and culture, it offers an abundance of attractions, stores, and events.
However, it also has to deal with a number of issues like drug abuse, gang violence, unemployment, and poverty. Wilmington’s unemployment rate was 7.9% in 2023 and its poverty rate was 25.4%, according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau. There are various factors contributing to the high crime rate in the city.
How is Wilmington Reducing Crime?
Several measures have been put in place by Wilmington, Delaware, and the state of Delaware to improve neighborhood safety and reduce crime rates. Several of these actions include the following:
- Stepping up patrols and police presence in high-crime neighborhoods.
- Implementing community policing and outreach to promote respect and cooperation between the police and the community.
- Increasing the housing, counseling, and legal assistance that victims of crime and violence can access
- Improving career, education, and mentoring options as a component of preventative and intervention initiatives for families and at-risk kids.
- Expanding the availability of services for drug addiction and mental health recovery.
working together with federal, state, and local law enforcement to locate and prosecute violent felons and gang members.
- Promoting constructive alternatives and community-focused pursuits like sports, the arts, and leisure.
These approaches have produced some positive results in recent years.In Wilmington, for example, there were 23 homicides in 2023, a 28% decrease from the previous year. There is still more work to be done in order to make Wilmington a more living and safe city for everyone.
You May Also Read:
- This Arizona City Has Been Named the Drug Smuggling Capital of the State
- This City Has Been Named the Worst City to Live in Louisiana
- This New Mexico City Has Been Named the Drug Smuggling Capital of the State
Wilmington is the riskiest city in Delaware to live in due to its higher crime rate than the state average. The city is dealing with a number of social and economic problems that exacerbate violence and crime.
Nevertheless, the state and the city are working together to find solutions to these issues and improve the level of living for the general public. Wilmington is a city full with potential, but to reach that potential, everyone engaged—the media, the community, the government, and the police—must support and get involved.