The Northman Movie Reviews: The Northman, directed by Robert Eggers and co-written by Eggers and Sjón, is a 2022 epic historical action-drama film.
The story revolves around Amleth, a Viking prince who sets out on a quest to revenge for his father’s murder.
Skarsgard had been wanting to make a Viking film for a long time, and after meeting to discuss prospective partnerships, Eggers decided to make it his third project.
A majority of the cast joined in October 2019, and filming took place in venues around Ireland from August to December 2020 on a production budget of $70–90 million.
Here’s everything you need to know about The Northman, without further ado.
The Northman: Reviews
The Northman has received positive reviews, so keep an eye on it. The movie has an 88 percent “Fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes (as of April 19), and an 82 on Metacritic, as well as the site’s “Must-See” classification.
What to Look Out for According to the Northman review, the film is “bloody, disgusting in spades,” yet it also offers an unusual viewpoint on mythic abilities.
At least not on this scale, and not in this day and age.
In this book, there is a lot of fire and ice, and a lot of love and vengeance, too. As most people know, this story is based on folklore. Most people will recognize parts of this story in Hamlet, The Lion King, or Conan the Barbarian.
Our main character, Prince Amleth, must get back at his uncle for killing his father and save his mother from his uncle’s hands (or so he thinks).
There is no way this reviewer knows how the movie director, Robert Eggers, got an R-rated movie that is very violent, but also very artistic and historically accurate to be made. But, wow, I’m glad he did.
The Northman: Cast
- Alexander Skarsgård as Amleth
- Oscar Novak as a young Amleth
- Nicole Kidman as Queen Gudrún
- Claes Bang as Fjölnir the Brotherless
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Olga of the Birch Forest
- Ethan Hawke as King Aurvandill War-Raven
- Willem Dafoe as Heimir the Fool
- Gustav Lindh as Thorir the Proud
- Elliott Rose as Gunnar
- Björk as the Seeress
- Eldar Skar as Finnr
- Phill Martin as Hallgrimr Half-Troll
- Ingvar Eggert Sigurðsson as He-Witch
- Olwen Fouéré as Ashildur Hofgythja
- Kate Dickie as Halldora
- Ian Whyte as the Mound Dweller
- Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Thorfinnr
- Magne Osnes as Berserker Priest
- Ralph Ineson as Captain Volodymyr
- Tadhg Murphy as Eirikr Blaze-Eye
- James Yates as Hrólfur Split-Lip
- Ian Gerard Whyte as Thorvaldr Giant-Crusher
- Doa Barney as Melkorka
- Katie Pattinson as Shield-maiden
- Murray McArthur as Hákon Ironbeard
- Ineta Sliuzaite as the Valk
The Northman: Plot
Prepare for a brutal revenge story with The Northman, according to the official narrative synopsis:
“The Northman, an action-packed epic from imaginative director Robert Eggers, depicts a young Viking prince on his quest to revenge his father’s murder.”
When the Viking prince (Amleth) was a boy, his own brother slew the king. Now that he is an adult, he must return home and exact his vengeance on his uncle.
The Northman: Release Date
The Northman was supposed to be out on April 8, 2022; however, it was pushed back to April 22, 2022. It was released in the United States by Focus Features and worldwide by Universal Pictures.
Special screenings were held in several cities around the world ahead of the theatrical release, including Rigoletto Cinema in Stockholm on March 28, Astor Film Lounge in Hamburg on March 30, Cinema Troisi in Rome on April 1, Odeon Luxe Leicester Square in London on April 5, Cineworld in Belfast on April 6 and TCL Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles on April 18.
In several countries, wide releases began early: on April 13 in Denmark, Norway, and Sweden on April 14 in the Czech Republic, Ecuador, Iceland, Mexico, the Netherlands, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Uruguay, and on April 15 in the United Kingdom and Lithuania.
The Northman: Trailer
- Shazam Fury of the Gods Release Date: HBO Confirmed This Superhero Film Make a Possible Entry in 2022!
- Gangs of London Season 2: Will They Solve the Mystery of Sen’s Death?
- Uncharted Movie Reviews: How did the VFX Make the Sequence Possible?
Frequently Asked Questions
Is There a True Story Behind the Northman?
The Narrative of Amleth, a Rumoured (but Most Likely Mythical) Viking Prince Who Inspired William Shakespeare’s Hamlet, Is Partially Based on the Northman.
Which Year Does Northman Take Place in?
Before 1000 a.d., the Narrative Takes Place.
What Exactly Is the Meaning of the Name Amleth?