NEW DELHI: National Investigation Agency (NIA) has submitted a detailed investigation report seeking extradition of Zakir Naik, a Mumbai based popular televangelist and Islamic preacher over the alleged terror activities to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in New Delhi.
The agency has sought prosecution sanction from the ministry against Naik under the stringent Section 18 of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act which relates to terror conspiracy, Sections 10 and 13 of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act which deals with being member of an unlawful outfit and Section 153 of Indian Penal Code which deals with inciting communal hatred.
Naik, who was on a world tour in July 2016 never returned back to India. Earlier, it was rumored that he has been granted Saudi citizenship, but there has been no official confirmation of this found. Naik has been given permanent resident status by Malaysia.
As per the photographs uploaded and shared widely on social media, Naik was last seen on Sept 29 participating in Friday prayers at the Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Mosque in Putrajaya.
Problems arose for the preacher after the Holey Artisan Bakery attack in May 2016, later Bangladeshi authorities said that one of the gunmen responsible for an attack in the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka, which left 22 people dead, had been inspired by him.
Bangladesh responded by banning Peace TV, an Islamic channel broadcast from Dubai which Naik founded in 2006 and which claims to reach 100 million people worldwide.
The 52-year-old denied supporting violence, releasing a video statement in which he said: “Killing innocent beings is the second major sin in Islam.”
As soon as MHA gives prosecution sanction, NIA will file its charge-sheet against Naik, his associates and IRF, which will be used to send a formal extradition request to Malaysia and Saudi Arabia, where he is said to be living and travelling frequently.
Recently, Islamic preacher Maulana Anzar Shah Qasmi was discharged from all terror charges by Patiala House Court in Delhi.